Your premier resource for Found Footage reviews.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Horror Roundup Volume One: October Comes Early


I just can't wait for October to get here so I can start creeping myself out with scary movies. I probably shouldn't be dipping into the horror bin this early, but since I work nights, I'll only have about 8 days in October to watch movies in pitch darkness. So here are the first three movies I watched this horror season.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2011)
----

The best way to describe this movie is: old school cool. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark has basically everything I want out of a horror film. Atmospheric and moody, with a creepy setting and sinister paranormal forces that aren't overdone or ridiculous. Plus it boasts Guillermo Del Toro with Katie Holmes, two of my favorite names in film/tv (albeit for... ENTIRELY different reasons.)

It has sort of an unassuming feel to it. It doesn't feel like a big bad blockbuster, and that's part of its charm. After all, it's a remake of a made-for-TV movie. And despite the astounding quality of its execution, it still almost feels like a TV movie. It reminds me of AfterDark's HorrorFest, which I loved dearly. Just a yearly batch of humble horror films not trying to be the next big franchise, just trying to be good and scary. The only difference is, Don't Be Afraid of The Dark is even better than the best HorrorFest movies. EVEN Lake Mungo, which is a spectacular found footage film.


Carrie (2002)
----

This was a very competently executed film, aside from the obnoxiously obvious cuts for commercial breaks. Instead of cutting for breaks in-between scenes, they would cut right in the middle of a scene, forcing us to acknowledge that this was a TV movie. Other than that, I found the characterization was very believable, and the familiar plot was handled well. They did seem to dwell on the "mystery" aspect too much for a plot that even those of us not familiar with the original are destined to be knowledgable of through countless references in TV and film. Carrie is a cultural staple, after all. They kept building it up like "ooh what's going to happen at prom," part of me was hoping they would change the ending so that all the build up is worthwhile.

The most peculiar thing about this film is that it was intended as a pilot for a TV series, staring Carrie. I find that peculiar because, as much as I adored Carrie throughout most of the film, I don't see how anyone can still root for her after the murderous rampage at the school. Mind you, I love revenge fantasies. In a fictional setting where good and evil are unambiguous, it's great to see evil people pay for their misdeeds. That's why I love Super Hero movies. But massacreing an entire school is a sensitive subject. I know real world and fantasy should be kept separate, but the only difference between what Carrie did and what the perputrators of Columbine did, is that the Columbine murderers had to use guns instead of magic powers. She didn't just kill the bad kids who bullied her (not that bullying is a justified reason for murder in the least), she also killed good kids, and innocent bystanders, and faculty who had stood up for her.


Romasanta: Werewolf Hunt
----

Directed by famed [REC] creator, Paco Plaza. This movie has a variety of names. On Netflix it's called simply "Werewolf Hunter." On IMDB it's "Romasanta: Werewolf Hunt." On Amazon it's called "Werewolf Hunter - Legend of Romasanta."

Romasanta is the name of the real life serial killer in England who admitted to his murders but claimed he was not guilty because he was a werewolf and couldn't control himself. Based on the blurb, I thought this would be very much like The Exorcism of Emily Rose: where this man is put on trial and the argument is whether or not he is truly a werewolf. But instead this movie is about a cunning serial killer and his meticulous kills.

Not a complete departure from typical werewolf lore but definitely with some unique nuances. Not the most engrossing of the movies I watched, but definitely something that can appeal to both werewolf fans and fans of psycho killer movies. And I liked the ending that they gave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment